Mac Track in environment without traditional switches/router

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

chipmonk

Mac Track in environment without traditional switches/router

Post by chipmonk »

I'm running Debian 9 Stretch with packaged Cacti 1.1.38, (anxiously awaiting the 1.2.2 release to backports).

All my hosts live on networks that I do not own, they connect back to my network via VPN. Is there a way I can use MAC Track to poll each interface and keep an accounting of the mac addresses that way? The plugin appears to want to use switches and routers to gather each mac address however I do not have these in the traditional sense.

When I add I device along with it's interfaces I do see it's mac address at that time.

What version of Mac Track should I be running?

Thanks for your support!

chip
chipmonk

Re: Mac Track in environment without traditional switches/ro

Post by chipmonk »

I grabbed v4.2 from Github releases section and got this working, I can now use my linux boxes and scan for local and remote IP's on remote lan's. One area that I'm not able to scan is the hundreds of hosts that connect through my OpenVPN Access Servers. Has anyone developed a scanner to collect IP and MAC for these hosts that connect through as0tX interfaces? I can see the interfaces these devices connect through in the interface tab but these subnets are not discovered. Appreciate any help and support.

Thanks,
Chip
chipmonk

Post by chipmonk »

Also seeing errors in my log:

CMDPHP ERROR: A DB Exec Failed!, Error: Unknown column 'N' in 'field list'

2019/05/12 14:10:54 - DBCALL ERROR: A DB Exec Failed!, Error:1054, SQL:'REPLACE INTO mac_track_temp_ports (site_id,device_id,hostname,dns_hostname,device_name,vlan_id,vlan_name, mac_address,vendor_mac,ip_address,port_number,port_name,scan_date) VALUES (1,3,'10.0.1.10','somehost.subdomain.mydomain.com','fileserver',N/A,'N/A','f4:96:34:37:53:f2:','f4:96:34','10.0.1.126','2','N/A','2019-05-12 14:10:49')'

These devices are sitting on my local subnet, these are not OpenVPn clients.
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

The problem is the N/A that isnt in brackets.
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation
chipmonk

Post by chipmonk »

Thanks for the reply. I took the leap to buster to get to 1.2.2. Brilliant piece of software here. Do you have anything in the works to support mac-address scanning on openvpn devices? Before the update to 1.2.2 my openvpn mac's were in the host_snmp_cache table. I believe these mac-addresses are auto assigned but I do not often change the tap interface so they'll essentially remain static.

Thanks,