Network Management Integration Plugin ( v0.3.9a Build 129 )

Announcements concerning Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

jmacias718

Re: Network Management Integration Plugin ( v0.3.9a Build 12

Post by jmacias718 »

Hey guys... need some assistance with getting NMID + NMIDWebService + NMIDSmokePing plugins working properly (together). I have used the PDF and a lot of useful info throughout this thread, and I feel I am close to getting all these pieces working correctly.

Here is some version information:
  • Cacti: 0.8.7g
    Cacti Plugin Architecture: 2.8
    Smokeping: 2.4.2

Nmid - 0.3.9a
    NmidWebService - 0.7
    NmidSmokeping - 0.5
Cacti/PA are verified working, as was Smokeping. All 3 cacti plugins show to be installed and enabled properly. I do NOT have the NMID tab on top. I gave myself the proper realm permissions, which created an NMID section on the left menu, but still no tab at the top. When I go to "Configure Devices" I get my graph tree and devices, but when I click on a device all I get is the device name, the IP, and a save button. There are no other checkboxes or options.

Useful info (that I have gathered after going through all 32 pages of this thread)

Going to http://myserver.net/cgi-bin/getSmokePingPath

----- I get a blank page

Going to http://myserver.net/cacti/plugins/nmidW ... ervice.php

----- SOAP-ENV:ServerBad Request. Can't find HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA

Going to http://myserver.net/cacti/plugins/nmidW ... e.php?wsdl

I get a blank page

From my server:

Running [root@myserver cgi-bin]# ./getSmokePingPath
---- Content-type: image/png

Checking my smokeping config I find this appended at the bottom:

"Error: SmokePing Config for server nmid_spserver1 Does not exist."

I have spent all day trying to get this going, and alas need to reach out for some assistance. Thanks!
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

Hi,

First of all, the "NMID" tab at the top is of no importance, the "Configure Devices" link on the console points to the very same page.

Then it looks like your installed the NMID plugin and the nmidWebService plugin correctly, but the nmidSmokePing plugin did not register ok. can you disable, de-install and then re-install/enable it and check if you now see further options on the "Configure Devices" screen ?

Also, did you setup your NMID Smokeping config on the "NMID" settings tab of the Cacti settings page ? you also need to make sure that the WebService password is defined throughout the different tools ( e.g the getSmokePingPath binary should come with a .ini file ...).

Next, the nmidWebService plugin does come with a .wsdl file. Look at this and check if your server is mentiond in there. I think it points to "cacti.network-outsourcing.de" by default.

And last, did you also use the "replacement" files ? PIA 2.9 does include the hooks required, but 2.8 doesn't so you need to replace some files with the ones available from here: http://redmine.nmid-plugins.de/projects ... epdf/files ( at the top ... )

... Seems like a HowTo video would be something nice to have...
Greetings,
Phalek
---
Need more help ? Read the Cacti documentation or my new Cacti 1.x Book
Need on-site support ? Look here Cacti Workshop
Need professional Cacti support ? Look here CereusService
---
Plugins : CereusReporting
jmacias718

Post by jmacias718 »

Thanks for the quick response. In response to your questions:
  • I have attempted disable / uninstall / re-install a few times with no improvements.
  • I have indeed configured both the .ini file in /cgi-bin, and the .wsdl file. All instances of the cacti server are properly updated to my server.
  • The only file I replaced was "v05_html_tree_087g_PIA28.tgz."
Are there any other places to check for common problems?

I am now trying to upgrade my PIA to 2.9 (did not see it available on cactiusers.org when I was trying to get this all setup) to see if it makes a difference. I patched my installation, got it working again, but my PIA version still shows to be 2.8, so I have missed something. I will report back once I know I have gotten it successfully on 2.9.

Thanks again!
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

What's your operating system and how did you install Cacti?

I can try to reproduce these issues once I get that info.
Greetings,
Phalek
---
---
jmacias718

Post by jmacias718 »

CentOS release 4.9 (Final)
Linux 2.6.9-89.0.25.plus.c4smp #1 SMP Thu May 6 13:50:27 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I believe this cacti install (I have a few) was installed from source, but unsure how to verify that...

Also, just to see if it would work (considering it requires similar plugin architecture than smokeping), I installed nmidCreatePDF. I had same situation... everything seemingly installs right, but when I go to "Configure Devices," and select a Device, all that is displayed is the host name, host address, and a save button. There are no other options or form elements for me to set/toggle.

I did notice that I have a support info tab, so here is what is listed there:

CereusReporting Debug Page

Dir: /var/www/cacti/plugins/nmidCreatePDF
Main Dir: /var/www/cacti/
PHP_SELF: /cacti/plugins/nmidCreatePDF/nmidCreatePDF_debug.php
Cacti URL: /cacti/
PIA Version: 2.8
Edition: EXPRESS
License Expiry: never
Operating System: Linux edison.airmail.net 2.6.9-89.0.25.plus.c4smp #1 SMP Thu May 6 13:50:27 EDT 2010 i686

Plugin Settings:
PHP Path php
PHP Version PHP 5.1.6 (cli) (built: Jul 31 2008 00:08:07) Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.0.7, Copyright (c) 2002-2011, by ionCube Ltd.
PDF Engine FPDF
Plugin Version 1.56

Licensed Modules:
Availability module disabled
Report Scheduling module disabled
Zenoss module disabled
DSStats module disabled
MultiReports module disabled
Archiving module disabled
Templating module disabled

File/Directory Settings:
tmp directory /var/www/cacti/plugins/nmidCreatePDF/tmp
tmp directory exists yes
tmp directory writeable yes

Loaded PHP Modules:
mbstring enabled
gd enabled
SourceGuardian disabled
IonCube Loader enabled
zip disabled
soap enabled

Optional PHP Modules:
curl enabled
ChartDirector PHP API disabled

Installed CereusReporting Extenstions:
File parallelGraphRetriever exists ( /var/www/cacti/plugins/nmidCreatePDF/parallelGraphRetriever )
File getSmokePingPath does not exists ( /var/www/cacti/plugins/nmidCreatePDF/getSmokePingPath )

Please note that I am not concerned with nmidCreatePDF! I only installed it to see if it worked (further isolating the original issue to the nmidSmokePing plugin).
jmacias718

Post by jmacias718 »

After updating my PIA updated to 2.9, uninstalling and reinstalling nmid, nmidWebService, and nmidSmokePing, I know have radio buttons when I go to "NMID / Configure Devices" Hurray! :D

Unfortunately, I have added a few devices to my Smokeping server through the NMID Configuration pages and they are not making it to the smokeping config file. What should the permissions be for the smokeping config file? I have it set to apache.apache, should it be apache.cacti?
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

Good to hear that it's working.

For the smokeping config. look in the /tmp/ dir, there should be a smokpeing config lying around there. ( that is if you set the "Smokeping Config Creation Dir" setting to "/tmp/".

Actuall this is not a full smokeping config, but only the "Target" section of it, so you would need to replace the target section of your original smokeping config with the one in there.
Greetings,
Phalek
---
---
jmacias718

Post by jmacias718 »

I checked in /tmp and I do have a config file "smokeping_nmid_spserver1_config.txt" that looks to be generated correctly. So I need append it to my smokeping config? Is that supposed to be a manual step?

In the NMID plugin settings..

Smokeping URL
This is the relative URL used to connect to Smokeping . (ex: /cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi).

I set it exactly to that '/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi' and moved a copy of smokeping.cgi (from /usr/local/smokeping/htdocs/) to /var/www/cgi-bin. Is that correct? Or should I set that URL to be http://myserver.net/smokeping/? Also, what should the permissions be for smokeping.cgi?
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

You can auomate thie config creation by running a cronjob that will use the top part of your config (e.g. in a config.header file) and the smokeping configuration created by nmidSmokeping to create a complete smokeping config file. See the createSmokePingConfig.pl.txt file from http://redmine.nmid-plugins.de/projects ... ping/files, which uses the nmidWebService plugin and a config.header file to create a complete smokeping config.

For the settings. E.g. my smokeping installation can be reached at:

Code: Select all

http://cacti.network-outsourcing.de/smokeping/smokeping.cgi
so in my case this setting needs to be /smokeping/smokeping.cgi while the smokeping server needs to be set to http://cacti.network-outsourcing.de/

For the permissions: You need to have a running smokeping installation which you can reach using your browser. If that works, then your permissions are fine.
Greetings,
Phalek
---
---
jmacias718

Post by jmacias718 »

I really appreciate your time helping me get this going. My hosts are now graphing in smokeping, however I get a "broken image/url" when trying to view the graph in Cacti.

This is the URL for the graph image that is NOT working:

http://myserver.net/cgi-bin/getSmokePingPath.pl?start=1299776062&end=1299862462&target=&server=nmid_spserver2&graphtype=detail
When I enable "debugging" I get this:

Url: http://myserver.net/smokeping/smokeping.cgi
UID: 
PWD: 
Content-type: image/png
I also noticed that for the "link to smokeping" that the URL is missing the target text:

http://myserver.net/smokeping/smokeping.cgi?target=
So of course I am diving back into my configurations. I have my nmidSettings in Cacti exactly as you described in your previous post. I've tripled check my .wsdl file as well, and it all looks correct.

EDIT: After uninstalling / installing nmidSmokePing plugin the apache errors have gone away (I noticed it wasn't using some changes I had saved). Still having all the above problems still though.
williamsant
Cacti User

Post by williamsant »

Hey all ,
I add NMID plugin with sucess, but had problem? (Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ')' in /var/www/html/lib/html_tree.php on line 795), follow documentation NMID, someone can help me ?? wait reply! Thanks!
Attachments
NMID.png
NMID.png (71.73 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

jmacias718 wrote: I also noticed that for the "link to smokeping" that the URL is missing the target text:

http://myserver.net/smokeping/smokeping.cgi?target=
The target info should be stored in the host table, can you check if that device does contain this information ?
Greetings,
Phalek
---
---
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

williamsant wrote:Hey all ,
I add NMID plugin with sucess, but had problem? (Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ')' in /var/www/html/lib/html_tree.php on line 795), follow documentation NMID, someone can help me ?? wait reply! Thanks!
Did you manually add the required code to that file, or did you use a replacement file ? Also, the required changes are already included in PIA 2.9
Greetings,
Phalek
---
---
jmacias718

Post by jmacias718 »

I guess after I did my last uninstall / reinstall, I had to go back into the Inventory settings and reselect the cacti server from the drop-down list. It is all working now. Thank you so much phalek!
phalek
Developer

Post by phalek »

I know, it's quite complicated to get this up and running ... *sigh*
Greetings,
Phalek
---
---