Paper vs digital?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Re: Paper vs digital?

Post by Ayla »

Retiree3 wrote:I so hope I didn't offend anyone with my Die Cut challenge by only allowing paper and hybrid scrappers to participate. I didn't know of anyway to allow digital to participate in the die cut challenge. If there is a way, please let me know.
Donna
I wasn't offended...die cuts are another things that I see as paper having an advantage over digital. And some of the punches that I have I have never figured out how to replicate in digital. There are some things you can do with digi (and I am far from an expert on this) where you "cut out" pieces from a sheet of paper. But keep this in mind...there are techniques that lend themselves better to paper, such as die cuts, and those that lend themselves better to digital, such as blending photos into the background. That doesn't mean either is superior to the other....just different. My objection was that I felt excluded to something that clearly could have been done in digital as easily and as beautifully as in paper.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

Actually, in digi we are able to cut out shapes with our software from digital papers, so I think the Die Cut challenge could work with digi. I haven't had much time to participate in the challenges, yet, since school just ended, but I hope to do so, this summer.

Janie,

You are such a sweetheart! I need to get into my studio and do some more paper stuff, but lots of times you all won't see it, because I'm too lazy to scan and post it! LOL!

After starting as a paper scrapper, I tend to treat my digi pages like paper pages with the added bonus of the undo button! I still layer from the bottom (background paper) up and I haven't done much with blending, etc., so I think most of my layouts could have been done in paper (only I would have had a mess to clean up after!)
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
Ayla
Cherry Addict

Post by Ayla »

Art_Teacher wrote:

After starting as a paper scrapper, I tend to treat my digi pages like paper pages with the added bonus of the undo button! I still layer from the bottom (background paper) up and I haven't done much with blending, etc., so I think most of my layouts could have been done in paper (only I would have had a mess to clean up after!)
I do this too...is that because I started with paper? Didn't realize there is another way to go it! lol
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

mommahobbit
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 70

Post by mommahobbit »

I have done digi but I am a paper girl thru and thru. I think beauty can be expressed with both mediums. How ever I must admit I can relate to how you feel. I am a card person not a lay out person and most challenges ask for layouts. I have seen it get better over the years but still irks me I guess.

Any medium is wonderful to look at and get inspiration from :)
Ayla
Cherry Addict

Post by Ayla »

mommahobbit wrote:I have done digi but I am a paper girl thru and thru. I think beauty can be expressed with both mediums. How ever I must admit I can relate to how you feel. I am a card person not a lay out person and most challenges ask for layouts. I have seen it get better over the years but still irks me I guess.

You make a fantastic point, and I will try to keep this in mind! I think I said the one word challenge was to make a layout....well, I'm going to go back and change it....you can make a card with the word sweet on it as well, and all the other rules/special twists apply!
 Image Image

pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1043

Post by pawprints »

Ayla wrote:
mommahobbit wrote:I have done digi but I am a paper girl thru and thru. I think beauty can be expressed with both mediums. How ever I must admit I can relate to how you feel. I am a card person not a lay out person and most challenges ask for layouts. I have seen it get better over the years but still irks me I guess.

You make a fantastic point, and I will try to keep this in mind! I think I said the one word challenge was to make a layout....well, I'm going to go back and change it....you can make a card with the word sweet on it as well, and all the other rules/special twists apply!

Didn't intend to leave out the card makers either! Please feel free to make a card for any of my challenges! They are open to anyone! Even crafts! I will change my opening post to reflect that!
 Image Image Image Image

aceason
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 723

Post by aceason »

I really hope my challenge wasn't one that started the discussion because I didn't intend to exclude anyone in that way. I was actually surprised that no one stepped up to do a digi or hybrid challenge. For the challenge I was doing, I guess I like to focus on a specific technique, just because that's how I scrap. Sort of like you just think about what you're familiar with. I don't have anything against digi, I just don't really know much about it. Has anyone thought about hosting some digi challenges?
I'll alter my challenge a little to hopefully open it up to those who love digi.
suewho372
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 940

Post by suewho372 »

I personnally love love love to collect paper, embellies, etc. However, I am very inspired by the LOs paper and digital I have been seeing here since I joined the boards recently, and will more than likely as Nancy put it "dip my toes" into digital at some point.
I think that paper, hybrid, and digital should all be allowed in the challenges as they are all expressions of scrapbook art.
Susan

Ayla
Cherry Addict

Post by Ayla »

aceason wrote:I really hope my challenge wasn't one that started the discussion because I didn't intend to exclude anyone in that way. I was actually surprised that no one stepped up to do a digi or hybrid challenge. For the challenge I was doing, I guess I like to focus on a specific technique, just because that's how I scrap. Sort of like you just think about what you're familiar with. I don't have anything against digi, I just don't really know much about it. Has anyone thought about hosting some digi challenges?
I'll alter my challenge a little to hopefully open it up to those who love digi.
I have definitely thought about resurrecting the DigiDoable that used to be done, but I have to figure out how to make a template first! lol (and no, you weren't the one that started the discussion)
 Image Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3699

Post by blbabe1234 »

As a paper scrapper only, I feel inspired by ALL walks of layouts - Paper, Digital, and Hybrid. And everyone here knows I'll leave lovin' on a layout if I love it - regardless of "how" the layout was created.

As for challenges, in my opinion, should really try to capture ALL types of scrappers. I know when I was March GCT I made sure I included everyone - especially with my Recipe Challenge. I even asked a fellow digi cherry (thank you Barb!) about elements that a digi scrapper could use that matched/came close to what a paper scrapper used. I really didn't want anyone to feel left out. I love what the digi gals do as much as the paper gals.

I think no matter how you create your layout, you are still preserving memories - and that is ALL that matters!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 874

Post by butterfly843 »

I only paper scrap, but I get inspiration from both digital and paper layouts, cards, etc. I think anyway a person preserves their memories and family history is great.
MimaScraps/Lori
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 1153

Post by MimaScraps/Lori »

Well, this has been a great discussion. I think that most of us are here (on the board), including the lurkers, because we love to create and to preserve memories and heritage. We love our families, flowers, and pets and vacations, day trips, weekend getaways and... All of you inspire me with your kindness and open-minds. Let's scrap! Thank you, Monique, for allowing digi scrappers to participate. Your challenges are creative and inspiring!!
Lori aka "Mima"
Cherish Every Moment; Then Scrap Each One!
and
Sweet Spot Designs!!
Lindsay
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1444

Post by Lindsay »

I've been digital scrapping since 2005 and there are still so many techniques that I don't use. I would rather search my hoard than try to re-color it, I think I've blended one photo, and my extraction techniques are horrid. So I'm definitely a traditional scrapper in my style and I think anyone could duplicate most of my layouts in paper. I still have to hunt for the perfect kit for a photo just like I stalked my scrapbook store for papers and elements. I still agonize over picture placement and just what to say. It's just a different medium now than it was before. Less clean-up, but more backing up. Yes, I have an undo button, but it takes me longer to scrap a digital page because of that undo button. I still print off all of my layouts and have them in albums, so I still have something to show my kids and family. I got a print job in the mail tonight and sat down with Kyle and we looked through each one. He's not looking at my clusters or what black and white conversion I used - he's reeling at how big the boys have gotten and complaining that he's getting old because my type is too small. Regardless of what you use, it's still capturing your memories and your story.
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

Like Art_Teacher and Ayla, I consider myself bi-scraptual. I started out in the paper world over 40 years ago. Over the years I've tried all kinds of scrap booking techniques, including digital using Word and Power Point, definitely nothing like what we digi gals create these days.

Some of you have seen pictures of my scrap room - I have enough to fill a small store. But like others I was disappointed when I first saw the initial instructions for this month's GCT challenges. I don't always get to participate in all the challenges, but I still look in case something will inspire me. Because I'm bi-scraptual, I probably have the same perspective as Ayla. I'm most concerned with creating a venue to preserve my memories. It doesn't matter to me what the medium, I just want to share the results with my family.

These days I use my paper stash to create cards, and my digi stash to create layouts. Occasionally, I will create hybrids. Like Art_Teacher and Ayla, I also create my layouts (and cards) from the bottom up with respect to the layers. Not sure that I could do it any other way. I do this even when I'm using a template.

I'm thankful for ACOT, the message board, and the gallery. When I first started doing digital work, the forum I frequented at the time did not have anything for digital, only paper. It was a paper CT here at ACOT that invited me to join the forum at ACOT from the other site. Sadly, she no longer is part of our ACOT family.

The most important three words in that last sentence are at the end of the sentence: "OUR ACOT FAMILY." I hope that we do not have this kind of situation in the future.

And I thank those of you who traditionally post challenges for opening them to cards as well! That puts a smile on my face, and will probably mean I might get more cards done!

Thanks, Ayla for starting this thread.
Laurie

PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Good discussion. I do wonder about her initial reasons for excluding digi as I don't think she said, but she changed them quickly after people brought it up so that's great.

In my experience this is one of the few message boards/stores that seems fairly balanced between paper & digi scrapping. I know during the years there was a CT their Challenges seemed a good mix of the two. I have really enjoyed that about this board as it helps everyone learn and try new things. I do agree that this board favors scrappers but there are other boards that favor card makers; just how things start I guess, and no one can be all things to all people.

I started out paper scrapping with Creative Memories. Now if you want to talk about bias, lol, there was (still is) a HUGE bias in many (most?) online scrapping communities against what they call "CM Style." A more appropriate term would be "EARLY CM Style" because they mean very simple, white pages, etc., which isn't even really featured in CM idea books any more. Early on there was also bias the other direction because CM helped start the whole scrapping fad in the first place and the focus was on preservation and a lot of the early "lumpy/bumpy" (ha) stuff wasn't archivally safe.

I never really saw that bias here although there were very few cherries who use any CM products (maybe 1-2 besides the 3 of us who are current/former consultants!). That's ok, and my style has certainly changed over the years as it has for most of us. I do lament the fact that my 'wallpapered' pages weigh a lot more than my old ones, lol! But I use a wide variety of products, CM and other brands, and do some digi as well, and feel that all are welcome here.

So to answer the main question, yes, I do think there can be a huge gap between the two but it depends on your background, like what other boards you've been a part of, what your real-life friends do, etc. I know there have been issues here in the past about how digi designers are treated as far as profit, regarding whether points can be used toward digi, etc. But overall I think most people here see them as fairly equal, just different.

---

btw, Monique's challenge winners will *not* be randomly chosen; I asked on one and she said she'll pick her "favorite." Not sure who that gives the advantage to, if anyone!
Image Image
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Wow, wonderful conversation ladies. I suppose since my mind tends to be analytically inclined I appreciate all of you so artistically inclined whether digital or paper. If jealousy is there it comes in silence because I would so love to have some of the incredible talent that exists here in our community. I have such a road block to the digital world......and I mean from the standpoint of computer, tablets, smart phones, etc. I guess it's age and not really getting into the learning curve. I do so want to learn digital though from the standpoint of advertising of the ranch. I get tired of not being able to communicate with now two different magazines, designers not getting it right what I'm trying to convey. And it's costing a fortune!!!! But I'd also like to get more done faster if I could scrap digitally.

As for the challenges right out of the box with first challenge I hosted the winner was Laurie and as she puts it bi-scraptual. A whole different thought process went through my mind in order to meet her needs. I feel really lucky that Laurie was the first digital scrapper to win one of my challenges. I've scrapped with her at Archivers so know somewhat what she loves in the paper world. Yet I really felt I needed to meet her needs as a scrapper in both mediums. So I gave her the choice of some cute K&Co Frames or the GC. I need to get rid of some duplicates I purchased in embellies....lol! But hey this wasn't the type of embellishment for the way Laurie does cards.

And hangs head for really not thinking about it all the way around when it comes to a challenge! ....if you can put it on a card, post card like Darlene, an ATC, a craft project like a shadow box, calendar, etc with any of my challenges then go for it!!!! It's about all of you who inspire me, my second family and it being the art of paper!!!! And not just a layout regardless of medium. ;) I have even seen a piece of paper printed out to house a paper layout by a digital designer on this board. I suppose that would be hybrid but leaves me confused. I would think most of the gorgeous papers we buy start out as digital art or then become digital. I want those challenges I host to inspire you.....fitting in the parameters of the challenge doesn't even enter the mind when you tackle the challenge. As those of you on the board who know me well my definition of pet is very different then yours.....lol!!!

Ayla to answer the question, 'Is there a divide!' For me "NO"! Is there among others, I would assume so! There are people who just love controversial things to be involved in their lives.... I think when it comes to this board I don't see a controversy, Also remember that sometimes we type so fast and our thoughts are moving at lightning speed we forget to think in a wider picture at the time.

:inlove: I do love the use of the phrase, 'the dark side!' It always makes me smile and remember one of the greatest movies of my life to ever see, Star Wars!!!!

Like I said ladies, a wonderful discussion!!! I am truly amazed by everyone's work regardless of medium!!!
mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

Post by mariangeles_spain »

I love my computer, surfing around, taking online classes, etc but I just wanted to say I don't get digital scrapbooking as a hobby.
I understand the memory keeping part, but I can't understand how you can live without messing up your hands, scissors, cardstock, adhesives, textures,... One of the reasons I love this hobby is because mixing memory keeping and handcrafting is a great therapy :D
AmyTeets
Digital Designers
Gallery: 368

Post by AmyTeets »

Personally...I do both and love to do both and would never exclude anyone :D
Great discussion!
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!
Morris4
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 26

Post by Morris4 »

Although I am mainly paper, I have done both, paper & digital. I do digital if I just to want to play around and don't have time to get my paper stuff out.
----------------------------

Blog: http://myordinarylifemorrisway.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Debate”